Bitter Melon (Karela)
Bitter Melon (Momordica
charantia) also called Bitter Gourd or Karela is a vegetable used as food and
also as part of traditional herbal medicine.
Bitter Melon is a well-known traditional
remedy for high blood sugar associated with diabetes.
Bitter Melon extract used
as supplement contains several biologically active compounds including
momordin, charantin, gurmarin and vicine which are responsible for most of health
benefits of Bitter Melon.
Unlike most medicinal
drugs used in diabetes which are effective only in one target organ or tissue, Bitter Melon influences glucose metabolism
all over the body.
Melon Supports Lower Dietary Carbohydrate Digestion
Bitter Melon extract
reduces the amount of glucose that is released into blood by inhibiting enzyme
that produces glucose in gut, and also reduces glucose transport into blood by
influencing the transport channels for glucose.
This effect is important for both type I and type II diabetic patients
and helps to prevent high blood sugar
levels after meals.
Melon Helps Increase Conversion of Glucose into Glycogen
Bitter Melon increases
transformation of glucose into glycogen that is stored in liver, muscles, and
fatty tissues until body needs energy, by increasing activity of the enzymes that
are responsible for conversion of glucose into glycogen. This enhanced production
of glycogen and increased removal of
glucose from blood results in an overall reduction in blood sugar levels.
Melon may help prevent diabetic complications by its action on decreasing
blood sugar levels and the anti-oxidative properties.
Melon stimulates appetite and helps in entire digestion process.
Helps in balancing both Vata (for relaxing) and Kapha (for rejuvenating).
- Helps in maintaining blood sugar levels within the normal range
- Aids digestive system.
- Assists in supporting healthy blood sugar.
Does not contain Artificial ingredients, fillers,
preservatives, stearates or titanium dioxide.
Free of milk, egg, shellfish, wheat,
peanuts, corn, gluten and soy.
60 capsules / bottle
Directions of Use
As a dietary supplement, take 2 capsules orally once a day or as recommended by your health care professional.
After opening, keep the bottle tightly closed in cool and dry place.
Please consult your physician prior to using any herbal product if you are pregnant, nursing or taking medication, or have a medical condition. Discontinue its use two weeks prior to any surgery.
Keep out of the reach of children.
1. Alam S, Asad M, Asdaq SM, Prasad VS. Antiulcer activity of methanolic extract of Momordica charantia L. in rats. J Ethnopharmacol. 2009 Jun 25;123(3):464-9
2. Shih CC, Lin CH, Lin WL, Wu JB. Momordica charantia extract on insulin resistance and the skeletal muscle GLUT4 protein in fructose-fed rats. J Ethnopharmacol. 2009 May 4;123(1):82-90
3. Sridhar MG, Vinayagamoorthi R, Arul Suyambunathan V, Bobby Z, Selvaraj N. Bitter gourd (Momordica charantia) improves insulin sensitivity by increasing skeletal muscle insulin-stimulated IRS-1 tyrosine phosphorylation in high-fat-fed rats. Br J Nutr. 2008 Apr;99(4):806-12
4. Noguchi R, Yasui Y, Suzuki R, Hosokawa M, Fukunaga K, Miyashita K. Dietary effects of bitter gourd oil on blood and liver lipids of rats. Arch Biochem Biophys. 2001 Dec 15;396(2):207-12.